David Bell wrote:
Sorry Russ

My previous reply should have gone further, but you'll understand that I'm going from memory now. My understanding is that, in order to run 8.1, the OS has to be installed on to an HFS+
formatted drive - end of story. If your machine can't start up from an HFS+ drive, then you can't run 8.1 - OS 8 is possibly as far as you can go, and I'd still recommend 7.6.1 as being the way forward for you. The huge hard drive - in terms of OS 7 and 8 - is perhaps also adding to your problems. I don't know much about that side of things - perhaps others on the list can clarify how you should proceed regarding formatting/partitioning.

Hope this helps somehow.

As its wrong I dont see how it can help.
8.1 will install on a hfs partition, its said, though I haven't tried it that you can then have hfs+ partitions that can be read by 8.1 you just cant install 8.1 onto a hfs+ partition or you get the "where have my files gone txt"

I'd suggest making a 1-2 gig partition for the system, if that works partition the rest.

Please cut the footers.