On 14 Jul 2004 at 14:53, Lee wrote:

> When I place a different battery, whether a new one or
> one from a working 580, the first thing I notice is
> the date has reset to the default date.  I reset the
> date to the correct one and shut down the computer,
> unplug the power cord and restart.  The date has
> return to the default date.

Try depressing the CUDA switch [motherboard reset button], IIRC,
located roughly center on the 580 mobo, close to the attached
vertical back plate. It's usually a small raised bump not much bigger
than a match-head. Generally, it should be reset each time a new card
is introduced or removed, and when replacing the battery.

Reset it, insert mobo back into case, reboot. All should be at
factory default settings and the date and time will be wrong.
Configure date and time and preferred settings and reboot, things
should be as you have configured.

Reboot the computer first, before you decide to shut down and unplug
the power cord. - Assuming that your battery is at the correct
sustained voltage, then you should no longer have the issues that you
describe.

Mike