On Apr 14, 2005, at 11:15 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Id like to get some use out of my 80MHz, PPC601 Quadra, just not sure
quite what to do with it. So Im curious what people here use their Quadras for,
not counting it being used as a main computer.

Chris

I have just set up a Quadra 950 with the 66Mhz Apple/Daystar PPC PDS card. I have a 160Mb 50pin Apple drive as a boot drive running OS 8.1. Then behind that I have the five drive carrier loaded with 5 Viking II 68pin drives. These are 8.5Gb and were recycled from my former employers Linux farm. They are strung together on an ATTO express iv nubus card. The best bit is that I found a copy (shrinkwrapped!) of REMUS V1.4 on eBay :-) Thus my 5 8.5Gb drives are now one 36Gb RAID 5 array. Fast and secure. This 950 sits in my garage, hooked onto my home network. I plan to use the RAID array for archiving old mac software.

I love the lines of the Q950. That big PSU demands that you fill it with hard drives. Who cares that my five drives have less capacity than one of todays IDE's. I love the sound of them spinning up! You can see the direct connection to the G5 towers :-)

John