On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 03:54:28PM +0100, Paul Jakma wrote:
> The original patch-set was presented as not adding any obstacles to the
> more isolated, multiple-process approach. However, it does seem to add at
> least one - the single ZServ instance for all.

It seems to me you're confusing the scenarios.  In a full isolation
setup, there is a separate zebra process talking to separate
bgp/ospf/... processes.  There's no change there, in fact this works
right now with bind mounting /var/run/quagga.

In fact, this will always be possible since all this needs is kernel
features, not actual Quagga features.  It's just containers.

There are enhancement possibilities here:
- on the config interface, creating some kind of central management
- adding the possibility to redistribute information betwen VRFs, e.g.
  when bgpd with L3VPN is carrying information for another VRF

But none of these are "obstacles," they're just features waiting to be
implemented (or not.)

Note also you could run 2 fully isolated multi-VRF setups with several
same-process VRFs each.

-David