On Fri, 30 Sep 2016, Lou Berger wrote:

It's unclear to me why an NHT should *ever* trigger a state machine change. At this point, I'm more comfortable with going back to not changing BGP FSM state than introducing the three new FSM changes you have in the code...

The 3 FSM changes are basically the exact same as the NHT code was doing, except without calling connect_check on Connect.

I.e. the major functional difference to yours is that it retains going through the ConnectRetry_timer_expired event on Connect as the prior NHT code was doing.

The other differences are cosmetic, to just do it via the existing FSM, so it's obvious. If one FSM is hard to understand, two different interacting FSMs is harder still.

Why do you think the state transitions are are appropriate based on an NHT_Update? What are the real sources of NHT_Updates? If BGP itself, as the prior case, these should certainly be ignored.

The source is a message from zebra.

If connections that are OpenSent+ can ignore NHT events, then those events can also be ignored for Connect and Active. Trying to optimise for bringing up links and short-circuit the connect-retry timer in case of some link event pertinent to the peer address, I assume.

Remove that and simplify it all, or keep?

regards,
--
Paul Jakma | p...@jakma.org | @pjakma | Key ID: 0xD86BF79464A2FF6A
Fortune: