Finally got the chance to get back to the 2+2 and finish putting it
back together. You may remember I stripped out all the dash to get to
the wiring loom in an attempt to sort out a blowing fuse on the right-
hand driver's dipped beam...

Well, I can grab the loom anywhere along its length and give it a dam
good tug, shake, and general abuse; nothing happens. Drive it over a
road hump and *pop* there goes the fuse. Oh dear.

I'm blowed if I can find it. The loom is such a mess anyway, I may
just rip the whole thing out and start again. As there's an MOT due
next week, I've temporarily linked the left and right dips from the
left hand feed. The current load is OK, though I've put a slightly
larger fuse in to avoid power-on blows.

Also needed new gaiters for the steering rack - an easy job, didn't
even have to take the wheels off!

One thing is puzzling me - no alternator warning light with ignition
on but engine off. The bulb is OK and the alternator appears to be
charging - 14v with the engine at tickover - and I don't understand
this: normally, the exciter for the alternator is fed via the bulb. Mr
Haynes is less than obvious about where it's fed on the Fiesta. The
bulb though appears to reference to a ground and the alternator seems
to have two permanent live feeds (though I could be wrong, the
diagrams are about as unclear as its possible to get). So I dunno
what's going on there...

A final question: is it a reasonably simple job to replace the dash
and fan and instruments with something from a later model? Are fiestas
the same width as each other? Any good recommendations?

Neil