Jim,
   It has a plate between the carb and manifold. It is the connector
that the breather from the left hand side of the valve cover (looking
from the front of car) connects to. The connector has snapped off and
somebody has filled it with something that looks like body filler. I am
guessing that this will be needed for emissions for IVA but that I will
get away with a K&N breather filter on top of the black plastic part
that would bormally go into the bottom of the air filter. I will check
tomorrow to see if the connector is still available as I work at a Ford
dealer.

   Can I ask where you saw the section about laminating in the spreader
plates for the seats? I have been looking through the inspection manual
but cannot find it. This is my first car to go through such a test as
all the ones I have built before were pre SVA, so just the good old MOT.

Russell