Hi Glyn,

Like Dave, I've just had to replace a driver's side lock due to wear.

Mine would lock/unlock when the door was open (you have to push the
latch closed to fool the mechanism that the door is closed), but
wouldn't lock/unlock when it was closed.

The fault was that the pivot was worn on the rotating pin that catches
the latch. Look carefully and you'll see which pin I mean (when the
latch is forced into the lock by the pin on the B pillar, it flicks
past a ratchet on the pin I'm talking about. At the other end of the
pin is a shaped pawl that stops the lock from sliding across in
response to the rod from the lock barrel. As the pin could move in
it's holes, the pawl fouled the lock when the weight of the door was
against it. You'll need to take the whole mechanism out of the door to
see all this.

Anyway, I came to the conclusion that there wasn't much that I could
sensibly do about the wear, and I replaced the mechanism with a good
second hand one from my other car.

Not much help, I guess, but there it is!

Dave.