I certainly had a sticky throttle with the 2+2, with the XR2 engine,
but the cause was different: in this case the (pattern part) throttle
cable didn't like the 180 degree turn it had to make as it went
forward from the bulkhead, over the engine, and back to the carb. It
was wearing through the inner nylon sheath within the bowden cable at
the turn and to cure it I had to tie the cable at several points to
ensure a wider curvature.

It jammed so tight that the throttle pedal would not move...

Neil