Jim, thanks very much for the detailed answer, I appreciate it very
much

Unfortunately I think im opening up a big can of worms here, I’ll tell
you what I know

when I acquired my 2+2 there were 2 relays wired in the engine bay
screwed to the inner wheel arch on the driver’s side, ive since tidied
them up and mounted them in proper relay holders, the one is for the
headlight covers using the QSC relay and the other is / was always
wired direct to the battery, ever since ive had the car the battery
has drained over a few days and ive traced this down to this relay
under the bonnet, with the relay fitted and wired to the battery it
draws about 140ma, with it removed the residual drain in the car is
about 3ma, with this relay removed / main feed to it from the battery
removed the car won’t start, there’s no click or anything from the
starter which is why I assumed this was the relay you mention which is
part 47 in the manual (great detective work there mate) though with
this relay removed the rest of the car operates as normal, everything
still works including the radio lights wipers etc. hence why I thought
it was a starter relay, I can only assume this is an addition by a
previous owner so all I need to do (I assume) is power it from a
switched feed instead of permanent live,
Out of interest do you know which is the actual relay inside the car
that is # 47?, providing this is still there and it is switched I may
try to draw power from this, I can only assume a previous keeper has
tried to take the strain off the key switch by putting a relay in the
circuit?
I still don’t fancy running wires back through the bulkhead as it’s a
bit tight, I may consider tapping into the ignition coil / fuel
splendid if I have no other option.
Any help much appreciated