Hi Jim and Martin
Thanks for the responses, I agree that the connector does suggest that the
problem is there. The coil pack is indeed a new unit, and I've tried
cleaning and adjusting the contacts in the plug as best I can. I've
actually had the plug and wiring off, as I extended to wiring for the plug
(spaced out soldered joints using wire of same gauge) as it was strung
across the engine bay like a taut washing line. I just can't see how the
plug having a poor connection would cause the revs to jump up and down, I'd
really like to get a new connector plug, but I'll take to existing one off
again tomorrow and have another go at it .
The way the plug connects to the coil unit seems lacking positivity, I've
tried adjust the spring, but as the "shoulders" for the connector on the
coil unit a sloped it will pull away somewhat. I'll get them both on the
bench as try and ensure a good connection, and may see if I can do a
permanent wiring job on the old unit by soldering wires directly to the
pins as an alternative and try running it like that until I get a new plug
connector
It may be that' there more than one problem and I'm mistakenly trying to
find a single source .

Cheers
Stevie Cee