Hi James,
Oh dear, sorry to hear that.

Do you know what category write off it is ?

There is an article here explaining the different category's.
http://www.rac.co.uk/community/blog/rac-blog/september-2011/what-is-an-insurance-write-off/
Just the first one i found.

Basically if it's D or C then you should be able to rebuild it, B or A and you won't.

It will also depend on whose insurance you are claiming from, if it was your fault and you are claiming on your insurance, then your insurance company will normally keep the car. But, depending on the category of the write off you maybe be able to buy it back from them for parts.

If you are claiming off a third partys insurance then they will normally let you keep the car.

That's from my past experiences anyway, but my last claim was 2003.
That was when I had a KA turn the wrong way down a dual carridgeway in front of me in the dark and the rain. There wasn't a straight panel left on my 205GTI after i hit the KA and then large road sign, the whole thing was twisted. Certainly a catagory B but the 3rd party insurance company never mentioned the salvage, they even paid the recovery charge to move the remains from the police recovery yard to my house.

When my 2+2 bonnet was damaged (also 2003, i ran into the back of Ian's Morgan on the Scottish Quantum tour, oops !) and they sent the claim paperwork through, i crossed out the section that mentioned the insurance company could keep the car and put "i do not agree to this condition" next to it. I never heard anything about it, and i don't know if would have changed anything.
In the event they didn't write the car off so it wasn't a problem.

Unfortunately i don't think you will be able to replace just a section of the chassis as it's all once piece spot welded together, you will probably have to replace the whole chassis. Unless, the company that make the extreme chassis are still doing them and they could refit it onto the original jig. I think you would still have to strip 90% of the chassis before they could put it on a jig though.

Good luck,

Jim