  From: Dave English
  To: Quantum Owners Group
  Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 6:44 PM
  Subject: [Quantum Owners] 2+2 - XR2 CVH engine, no idle

  Thought I'd post this for future reference in case anyone else has the same
problem. A bit of fault diagnoses is always useful.

  Driving to a model aircraft show at the weekend, my 2+2 started cutting out
every time the engine came back to idle. A bit difficult to drive like that but
I got to show, managed to avoid buying any more toys, and got home again. I did
notice it idled when the choke was on until I touched the throttle.

  Started playing with it today. First confirmed the fault. No idle unless
choke was on and lumpy below 1500 revs.
  The anti run-on valve was clicking, so that was okay and, over 1500-2000
revs, everything was fine so timing and ignition should be okay (although a
weak spark may give similar problems).
  For those that don't know, the anti run-on valve (sometimes called the
anti-dieseling valve) shuts off the idle fuel when you turn off the ignition,
to stop the engine running-on or dieseling.

  To my mind that really just leaves a lack of fuel in the idle line, possibly
a blockage. (the Weber carb makes this idle fuel thing a bit complicated, give
me a SU carb anyday)
  By now the I had the auto choke cover off and could set the choke at any
engine temperature, which allowed me to start the engine and get to the carb
without it stopping.
  So, got the engine started, climbed out, got to the other end of the throttle
cable and used that to knock the choke off and keep the engine running. With
the other hand I started spraying WD40 into the carb and then let the throttle
drop to idle, and idle it did, running nicely on WD40.
  Hopefully this has confirmed a fuel blockage at idle, and after using an Air
Duster and some Carb Cleaner to no avail, the carb is now sitting on my bench
awaiting a service kit so I can strip and clean it.

  Of course, it could be something completely different, so if anyone has any
other ideas, please let me know.
  When it's fixed, I'll let you know what the real problem was!

email to quantumowners+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/quantumowners/1c739726-3b04-418a-b9d0-8c50b66f5938%40googlegroups.com.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/quantumowners/3A6F68BB51D4408CAC923D111A2FD9D5%40computer.