At 7:38 PM +0000 6/16/15, Brown George wrote:
I was wondering about this as well. There could be ways of taking advantage of it in a custom plugin. eg. write a plugin to perform it's thing in Metal or other technology (Scenekit?), and output the result back into the QC context, but I wonder if it's really worth the hassle. If you were really determined to do some powerful stuff for another QC compatible application it might be worth it. I've only ever briefly looked at writing a QC Plugin, so not sure if there would be restrictions that would make it impractical. I was thinking of basically a QC Plugin that just wraps a self contained visual or effect, while still allowing access to QC inputs/outputs from whatever application you're playing QC from.

George

On Tuesday, 16 June 2015, 21:06, "quartzcomposer-dev-requ...@lists.apple.com" <quartzcomposer-dev-requ...@lists.apple.com> wrote:

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 22:27:55 +0700
From: Roger Bolton <<mailto:ro...@eskatonia.net>ro...@eskatonia.net>
To: <mailto:Quartzcomposer-dev@lists.apple.com>Quartzcomposer-dev@lists.apple.com
Subject: QC and Metal?

Does anyone know if it will possible for us to take advantage of speedups from Metal in QC? Even if Apple does not specifically address that? I mean could we write individual new coreimage nodes and filters using the QC API and Metal in order to speed up certain portions of the QC rendering chain?

Or will Metal improvements happen automatically with new drivers from Nvidia and AMD and we won't need to recode?

thanks

Roger
CoreMelt

------------------------------

Message: 2
I have a feeling Metal will completely break QC, unless it's rewritten from the ground up. Maybe I'm wrong though. Anyone at Apple care to comment?

Alex

Does anyone know if it will possible for us to take advantage of speedups from Metal in QC? Even if Apple does not specifically address that? I mean could we write individual new coreimage nodes and filters using the QC API and Metal in order to speed up certain portions of the QC rendering chain?

Or will Metal improvements happen automatically with new drivers from Nvidia and AMD and we won't need to recode?

 thanks

 Roger
 CoreMelt

<https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/quartzcomposer-dev/the_voder%40yahoo.co.uk>https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/quartzcomposer-dev/the_voder%40yahoo.co.uk

 This email sent to <mailto:the_vo...@yahoo.co.uk>the_vo...@yahoo.co.uk

Message: 3
good question! was assuming it wouldn't touch QC as my guess is it is an alternative to OpenGL and bypasses it - so won't touch QC either way.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 11:29 PM, Roger Bolton <<mailto:ro...@eskatonia.net>ro...@eskatonia.net>

<https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/quartzcomposer-dev/qc.student.au%40gmail.com>https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/quartzcomposer-dev/qc.student.au%40gmail.com
 This email sent to <mailto:qc.student...@gmail.com>qc.student...@gmail.com