I was looking at the canaries, and I liked the idea of a proof of freshness
with the latest news headlines. While people can't create canaries ahead of
time, it is possible to conspire to modify or backdate one of them after they
have been published. To prevent this, we could use a blockchain-based
timestamp, where the hashes of each canary are placed within the blockchain of
a powerful cryptocurrency. Something similar to these services:

https://opentimestamps.org/
http://originstamp.org/home

This way, if there ever is a interruption of canaries, followed by a court
order or something forcing you guys to backdate a falsified canary or modify
old ones, we will all be able to check.