On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 12:19:47PM -0800, theinnovativeinven...@gmail.com wrote:
> I was looking at the canaries, and I liked the idea of a proof of freshness
> with the latest news headlines. While people can't create canaries ahead of
> time, it is possible to conspire to modify or backdate one of them after they
> have been published. To prevent this, we could use a blockchain-based
> timestamp, where the hashes of each canary are placed within the blockchain
> of a powerful cryptocurrency. Something similar to these services:
>
> https://opentimestamps.org/
> http://originstamp.org/home
>
> This way, if there ever is a interruption of canaries, followed by a court
> order or something forcing you guys to backdate a falsified canary or modify
> old ones, we will all be able to check.

The easiest way to do this is to simply use the OpenTimestamps (OTS) git
integration.
This blog post explains how:

https://petertodd.org/2016/opentimestamps-git-integration

Addiitionally, while not covered in that blog post, OTS also supports a mode
where it rehashes the git tree in such a way that an efficient, SHA256-based,
timestamp proof can be extracted later for each file. In the next release this
will be done by default, but for now you have to add the --rehash-trees option
where the ots-git-gpg-wrapper command is called.

FWIW, as of this week, Bitcoin Core maintainer Wladimir J. van der Laan started
using OTS to timestamp Bitcoin Core commits and tags.