On 1/30/19 9:26 AM, Doesnt Work wrote:
This is a UX-issue I'm not sure how to solve and hope to discuss a
solution for.

I've been stuck with 8GB memory for a while and several times ran into
the problem of figuring out why I was out of RAM (and turning to
xentop). The issue is two fold:
1.) In the qubes domain widget, dom0 memory usage isn't displayed
2.) There is no display of "available memory" in any form.

I have no idea how to solve the second problem (i.e. where to display
such a number), but would suggest to add dom0 to the qubes domains
widget. RAM usage could be displayed and on hover, global menu options
could be displayed. (i.e. instead of VM-specific "Preferences", "Pause",
"Shutdown", "Run Terminal", it would display "Global Settings", "Lock",
"Shutdown(!)", "Run Terminal", or similar.)

It might be a good idea to switch to display RAM in percent of available
RAM. That might be a slight workaround for displaying remaining RAM.
(since it's easy to glance at a list and see weather it adds up to 100,
though I believe it would be cumbersome to add many small numbers in
your head in case of a lot of RAM and many small VMs.)

The xentop command will show you memory stats for dom0 and all the rest. I wrote a script to condense the info with a sum of the total amount used:

https://github.com/tasket/Qubes-scripts/blob/master/system-stats-xen

I keep this in a small window and find that it gives me the overall sense of memory usage that you seem to be seeking.

As for making more room on an 8GB system, here is a rundown I posted in qubes-users last month:

Manually setting the maximum RAM has worked great on my 8GB system: about 350MB for each service VM, 700-900MB for media playback, 1500-2500MB for browsing and other heavy apps. Finally, I set the dom0 max to 1500MB in /etc/default/grub. Using debian-9 templates, these ranges result in a system that is *much* more usable than it would be with the default RAM allocation; I highly recommend it.

Setting the max RAM for dom0 can save a lot of memory but requires editing the "dom0_mem" parameters in /etc/default/grub (if not using UEFI) and then update with the 'dracut' command.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket