As far as I know in Qubes R4.1 will have split admin and gui domains, so
neither of these functions will run in dom0.
For that I assume there's already intensive work and testing are being done
to test GPU passthrough to guivm. Considering the significantly larger
Intel install base - I guess the integrated Intel GPU passthrough this will
come first. Then probably the AMD integrated GPU passthrough support, then
the rest of the other PCI cards. However, full HW acceleration (especially
3D) might not be trivial as the Qubes gui agent implementation is code
developed by the Qubes dev team, so not all features and possibilities of
Xen- HW gui acceleration capabilities is implemented within. But I could be
mistaken here, and it could be, that as soon as the guivm separation is
done and tested (eg. also security wise), then it'll be much more easy to
have HW acceleration (2D->3D) in an AppVM.