When looking at recent posts about template managers, two points came to mind:

### Metadata Signing

Signing metadata would be awesome.  Control over the repo listing
allows delaying updates without being detected, and also allows for
social engineering attacks.  Debian manages to sign its metadata, so I
don’t see any fundamental reason we can’t either.  My understanding
is that the metadata can be (deterministically) computed from the
packages in the repo, which are themselves signed.  Therefore, we
could have a trusted VM that accepts RPM packages as input, checks
the signatures, and then updates the metadata appropriately.

### Secure Installation of Untrusted Templates

Currently, templates are packaged via RPM, which allows executing
arbitrary code on installation.  However, the Qubes Admin API already
allows importing a TemplateVM volume into dom0 without risking a dom0
compromise.  I see no reason why one needs to trust the packaging of a
template any more than the template itself.  If I publish a TemplateVM
package, and my packaging infrastructure is compromised, the attacker
will be able to compromise the TemplateVM packages I deliver, as
well as any VMs based on those templates.  They should not, however,
be able to compromise any other VMs, much less dom0.  Of course,
a compromised TemplateVM is still bad, but it is not Game Over.

Sincerely,

Demi M. Obenour