On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 06:59:02PM -0400, Demi M. Obenour wrote:
> When looking at recent posts about template managers, two points came to mind:
>
> ### Metadata Signing
>
> Signing metadata would be awesome.  Control over the repo listing
> allows delaying updates without being detected, and also allows for
> social engineering attacks.  Debian manages to sign its metadata, so I
> don’t see any fundamental reason we can’t either.

Debian actually signs metadata _instead of_ packages. This means a
debian package without matching signed metadata cannot be trusted[1]...

> My understanding
> is that the metadata can be (deterministically) computed from the
> packages in the repo, which are themselves signed.  Therefore, we
> could have a trusted VM that accepts RPM packages as input, checks
> the signatures, and then updates the metadata appropriately.

In theory, it could be even simpler - the build VM could generate
repository metadata out of local repository copy, sign it and only then
upload to the server (currently it upload packages and generate metadata
on the remote host). One issue with that is that local copy would need
to be a full copy - currently we keep only latest packages in that
environment to save some disk space, but we keep all of them in the
public server (to allow explicit downgrades and also reproducing build
environment for specific package).

Signing repository metadata has one more issue: we try to have an audit
trail what actually was signed (that's why all the build logs are
published for example). When signing repo metadata, it's much harder,
because besides the package you just built, you have a bunch of other
packages you need to include too. Perhaps some solution would be logging
difference between old and the new metadata? This is very similar issue
to the one we have with signing Debian metatadata:

[1] Theoretically deb package format do support signatures, but Debian
project do not use that and the tooling is in quite poor state.

> ### Secure Installation of Untrusted Templates
>
> Currently, templates are packaged via RPM, which allows executing
> arbitrary code on installation.  However, the Qubes Admin API already
> allows importing a TemplateVM volume into dom0 without risking a dom0
> compromise.  I see no reason why one needs to trust the packaging of a
> template any more than the template itself.  If I publish a TemplateVM
> package, and my packaging infrastructure is compromised, the attacker
> will be able to compromise the TemplateVM packages I deliver, as
> well as any VMs based on those templates.  They should not, however,
> be able to compromise any other VMs, much less dom0.  Of course,
> a compromised TemplateVM is still bad, but it is not Game Over.

This is one of the goals of the current template manager GSoC project.
The templates are still packages as RPMs, but those are used just as a
signed file containers - specifically, those packages will no longer be
installed using rpm tool, no pre/post/etc scripts from the package are
run, no package dependencies are handled etc. This makes it quite safe
to install such package with the new qvm-template directly in dom0, but
for added protection, it is also possible to use that tool outside of
dom0 (given proper Admin API permissions).

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab