On Tue, Nov 01, 2022 at 12:45:33PM +0100, mm wrote:
> Hi Marek, hi Andrew, hi Tobias,
>
> Marek, I merged your pull request, also merged your changes into master and
> added some enhancements and created a pull request.
>
> Here you could review it
> https://github.com/maiska/qubes-translation-utilz/pull/2
>
> Either way, one could try it out, there should be no more undefined or
> unknown label warnings when rendering the rst docs
> and thus could safely imho go and convert the documentation and host it on
> RTD.
>
> Here is a README.md instead of spamming via email
> https://github.com/maiska/qubes-translation-utilz/blob/master/README.md
>
> the configuration should be more readable also:
>
> https://github.com/maiska/qubes-translation-utilz/blob/master/md2rst/config.toml
>
> Please let me know if I have to fix further or this suffices.

I think the current version of scripts is good :) Thanks!

There are sphinx warning remaining, but there are not that many of them
and can be fixed manually (things like underscores for headers, or
single space at the beginning of line interpreted as unexpected
indentation).

The only other issue I consider a blocker (but hopefully should be easy
to fix) is index.rst. The sidebar index is great, but in its current
form it's hard to use - it's very long. I added section captions there
and it helped a bit, but I think those should be folded by default
(similar folding like sections of the current page). I tried setting
`collapse_navigation`[1], but it didn't work.  Any other ideas?

BTW, while looking for related option, I found you can use `:glob:`
in toctree, to add everything from given subdirectory. This way we can have
some section filled automatically (as long as directory structure
reflects sections, but it is the case in most cases).

I uploaded current version to
https://qubes-doc-rst.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ (I haven't fixed all
sphinx warnings there, so few places may have wrong indentation). I
haven't updated translated pages - those are still from previous
iteration.
Source of the above is at https://github.com/marmarek/qubes-doc/tree/work4/

Another thing that IMO would be better, is to keep the "introduction" page
as part of the main website, and only link to it from the documentation.
Should be easy with the redirects extension (as already done for HCL and
few others).

The next question is what to do about qubes-doc repo. We can either
replace the current content with converted to rst (and keep markdown in
a separate branch, for historical reasons), or create new one
(qubes-doc-rst?), and basically archive qubes-doc.

In any case, the _doc submodule should be replaced with generated
redirects to the new documentation. IMO it can be put into
qubesos.github.io repository directly, as it shouldn't really change
(it's only to keep existing documentation links on mailing list, forum
etc working, shouldn't be used for new content).

[1] https://sphinx-rtd-theme.readthedocs.io/en/stable/configuring.html

> Otherwise I will briefly handson evaluate weblate locally and report back.

Do you have any update on weblate?

> [...]
> > populated in a
> >
> > > later stage via jinja scripting), new strikeout extension and new
> > role, video directives, which markdown files are also to be copied
> > > - is doc.md the right one etc? latex documents are rendered correctly
> > (toctree req)
> >
> > I took toctree-example.rst and manually synced with recent doc.md. It
> > seems to work, including PDF version. The PDF could use explicit TOC at
> > the beginning, but it is in PDF metadata, so can be seen in the side
> > panel of PDF viewer.
> >

> > > 2. !! Problem that should have a solution:
> >
> > > f.ex.https://qubes-doc-rst.readthedocs.io/en/latest/user/troubleshooting/installation-troubleshooting.html
> >
> > > in the sentence:
> >
> > > "Here are the steps to fix this. Note that this allows sys-net and
> > sys-usb to take complete control of the system, as described in the FAQ
> > here:"
> > > there should be a cross reference to FAQ VT-d iommu section but is
> > not. (with my version this is also a problem)
> >
> > > Unfortunately the documentation (sphinx referencing via roles, perhaps
> > the implementation?) is not saying anything how to handle punctuation
> > with sections and cross ref with ref,
> >
> > > so as of the moment I do not have an idea, apart from the basic stuff.
> >
> > Yes, I hit similar issues elsewhere. Most of issues like this I fixed by
> > importing objects.inv and taking references from there (this is also
> > pushed to the PR), but there are still few corner cases like the noted
> > above. It seems '&' is handled differently by markdown and sphinx. All
> > the sphinx warnings fit for me on one screen, so I think those few
> > remaining cases can be fixed manually, there is no need to make the
> > converter perfect.
> >

> > > I also tried explicit automatic labeling above each section with a
> > directive  (.. _id-of-section) - did not work out
> >
> > > 3. different new files to be considered:
> > > f.e.x 2 versions of the privacy content, how to edit the documentation
> > - markdown & rst version, visual style guide etc
> >
> > Yes, I left some of them on the old site (with matching redirects), but
> > this needs to be sorted out.
> >
> > > 4. what is done so far on master
> >
> > > -- video directives
> >
> > > -- toctree index, notes, schedules, upgrade, how to restore
> >
> > > -- section cross referencing small fixes
> >
> > > -- svg conversion to png for selected files and replacement in rst docs
> >
> > > -- convert leftover markdown links in rst files
> >
> > > -- markdown redirects
> >
> > > -- added directives for warning & note (can be used also for
> > indicating translated content)
> > > -- anything i forgot
> >
> > > 5. weblate - localization platform should be the way to go imho (sry
> > not a big fan of transifex rn, weblate is OS etc,
> > > some more objective analysis will follow), there are several issues to
> > be clarified, wip, tails guys need good questions to work with
> > > - will be done on sunday
> > > 6. anything i forgot, did not address, mentioned too briefly or not

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab