On 07/09/2016 04:59 PM, Desobediente wrote:
> I'm a political activist with years of experience of dealing with
> related situations, especially in the internet, and I endorse the
> idea that the single thing you can do is to ignore these things.
> [...]
Another thing I think may help the younger people understand the
toughness of the problem of understanding each other on the internet is
the fact that, by written word only, you cannot easily ascertain the
state of mind of the writer. "Bad guys" on the internet are not always
trolls.

As an example, people may sit at their computer after a hard day at
work, or after an argument with their partner, and may channel their
stress to their fingertips. The fact that sending e-mails does not incur
in post fees, and that there is a sense of anonymity, unleashes the
worst of us even when it's not intended.

So, there are people whose work is to disrupt online communities, be it
for a paid job, or for fun, and there are hard moments in the life of
everyone of us. Everyone of these people may sit at a computer and write
an e-mail, and we can never be 100% sure of what their ideas actually
are. Mix that with the fact that a lot of the users here are not native
english speaker (myself included), and may use figures of speech that
make sense only in some specific culture.

TL;DR: Drop the conversation already if it takes a wrong turn. There
will be many more occasions of agreement together later in time.

I may not have the experience of Disobediente, but that's what I
observed in my life with people I got to know.

--
Alex