> Is there any log related to this service in the windows event log?

Have you checked the Windows Qubes Logs?
If you have Qubes Tools installed, they would be wherever you set the logs to
be put.
Typically that is on the private.img drive.
If you don't have them installed, you won't have those logs, and can only check
the Windows Event Log, if you have it logging everything for debug, not just
critical.

> Could you please try to disable aero (and anything related to 3d - yes I
> know that the problem is with networking and that it should not be
> related to 3d graphics) and restart the VM?

I always have Aero turned off on Windows, whether it's a bare metal or a
virtual. And I still have the issue on the Guest.

> Last, could you try to whip up another win 7 hvm and just... try again?

Whip up another won't make much difference. Also depends on the updates
installed on the VM. What updates are installed? What
antivirus/firewall/malware protection do you have Adam?

> Please note that these are just guesses, after a bit of googling around,
> and not actual step-by-step troubleshooting. It's to gather more
> information until somebody who is actually expert in the matter replies
> to the thread.

If you need an expert, then you need Marek, one of the programmers. He may be
able to help, he has assisted in resolving many of my issues I've had over time.