> On 08/17/2016 03:20 PM, entr0py wrote:
>> Just migrated my Qubes 3.1 system to new hardware and it went surprisingly
>> smoothly :)
>>
>> I noticed however that my KDE Window Rules did not get backed up / restored
>> (not sure which).
>>
>> It's kind of irrelevant at this point since we're moving away from KDE but
>> I'd still like to know why that happened and if there are other config files
>> that I need to copy over manually.
>>
>> Most of the files in ~/.kde/share/config/ have permissions user:user 600 so
>> it shouldn't be a problem to back up. Is a KDE lock on those files
>> preventing them from being overwritten on the restore? Any other files I
>> should bring back manually? (Just noticed some keybindings not working...)
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> If the KDE version stayed the same (4.x) then I'd expect the dom0
> restore to include window rules and keybindings.
>
> Did you restart the system after the restore?
>
> Chris

Yes, more details:

1. Backed up the entire system (all up-to-date): dom0, all templates, all vms;
2. Installed fresh Qubes 3.1 with no pre-configuration (seems fedora-23 was
installed anyway)
3. Did an incremental restore as follows:
   a. restored dom0 - noticed that the following did not restore: desktop
background, sound prefs,
      application menu settings (application menu entries were correct)
   b. reboot
   c. restored service templates & service vms
   d. updated dom0 - noticed window rules were not restored
   e. reboot
   f. restored dom0 AGAIN - thinking that dom0 update might have some effect
      window rules did not restore BUT desktop background did.
   g. restored all other templates & vms
   h. noticed that keybindings did not restore

I think all of these KDE settings are stored in ~/.kde/share/config/.
Specifically, the window rules are located in kwinrulesrc. I guess I could
reconnect backup drive and go find out if files were backed up to begin with.
My hunch is that the problem is on the restore end. How can I tell if files are
locked? And if locked can Qubes restore overwrite them?

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the
NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!