I'm attempting to encrypt an external drive when experiencing a
freeze/crash:

After running in the sys-usb VM:
sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda1 USBDRIVE001
<drive password>
sudo mkfs.vfat /dev/mapper/USBDRIVE001 -n USBDRV1

the window becomes unresponsive. No application errors are visible.
Also, the VM seems to be unresponsive as I cannot run anything else in
that VM (and any other open windows beccome unresponsive too).

If I have a certain amount of windows open in that VM (3?) e.g. 2
terminals and one file browser, the windows just disappear and the state
of sys-usb in Qubes VM Manager turns yellow.

At this point, I can only restart the VM, which seems then to operate
normally.

I tried it a few times and the last time I tried it I got an exclamation
point in Qubes VM Manager under the state column for sys-usb. When
hovering over it, it says: "qrexec not connected." As usual, restarting
the VM works fine.

I do not think I'm out of memory, as I have closed all other
non-essential VMs and should have 8GB of RAM but might have 6GB (I don't
know how to check physical RAM amounts without rebooting). The drive
itself is 1.8TB.

Is this a bug? Should I be submitting a bug in github or posting this on
the dev mailing list?

I need a next step.

Thank you.