Marek Marczykowski-Górecki:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 01:42:36AM -0700, nekroze.law...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>> In any case, if you put Fedora-based VM behind sys-whonix, and set it as
>>> UpdateVM, it should work.
>
>> That does indeed seem to fix the problem. Is there a reason why the whonix
>> setup choice that uses whonix for dom0 updates not also build an update vm
>> that uses sys-whonix and is based off of fedora?
>
> Basic actions (install updates, new packages) should work in this setup
> and it save some RAM (no need for additional VM in addition to
> sys-whonix).

Seems to me that an attack could be constructed where the Tor exit used
for update downloads feeds sys-whonix an exploit, and from there is able
to either break out of Tor, or compromise Tor in some way that may
affect other VM's' anonymity.

Granted, this is a fairly lousy attack as attacks go, but isn't the
entire point of Whonix that nothing is supposed to run inside the Whonix
gateway except Tor?

Cheers,
-Jeremy Rand