On 2016-09-22 07:45, Otto Kratik wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 9:03:30 PM UTC-4, Andrew David Wong wrote:
>> Since your question is about the functional or behavior differences
>> between TemplateVMs and HVMs, I take it that what you're really
>> interested in is the practical difference between using TemplateVMs and
>> StandaloneVMs as VMs which do not depend on any other VM for their root
>> filesystems.
>>
>> The only significant difference I'm aware of is that using a TemplateVM
>> allows you to retain the option of creating TemplateBasedVMs based on
>> this TemplateVM in the future, whereas a StandaloneVM does not. If you
>> one day decide that you'd like to have a TemplateBasedVMs based on your
>> StandaloneVM, you'll have to re-create it as a TemplateVM. There's no
>> (easy) way to turn a StandaloneVM into a TemplateVM.
>

> Your interpretation is correct, I am mainly interested in the practical
> differences between running either a TemplateVM or a StandaloneHVM as a
> self-contained VM that doesn't depend on another VM's root filesystem.
>
> As in my example, if I want a self-contained, non-dependent Debian VM it's
> far easier to just clone a Debian TemplateVM and use it independently as
> such, and thus get the single mouse-pointer desired, as opposed to creating
> an HVM and installing Debian there, and getting dual mouse pointers instead.
> If the two solutions are functionally the same, the first is more optimal.
>
> However one reason I ask is that I seem to have in fact noticed some
> behavioral differences I wouldn't have expected, based on the descriptions
> above. The example case is unfortunately too unique to be likely duplicable
> by others for testing, but here it is nonetheless.
>
> I purchased a Linux game that needs no installation, you just download it
> from the vendor website, unpack the tar.gz archive and run it from shell. At
> first run it asks you to input the license code received at the time of
> purchase, which is easy to do. After that, all future launches don't ask you
> to input the code again, as it's already saved and stored by the game.
>
> On normal standalone Linux systems (whether an HVM within Qubes or a truly
> separate bare-metal installation on another computer/drive) this works as
> expected. Enter the code once, game works smoothly forevermore.
>
> But on a TemplateVM, the code works for that session, but doesn't seem to
> "stick" or get saved next time around, and it has to be entered again each
> time the game is launched. While I'd understand and perhaps expect this if
> running from a TemplateBasedAppVM, since maybe the location where the game
> records the registration is on the rootFS and isn't remembered next time, I'm
> perplexed to see it occurring on a TemplateVM, which shouldn't have this
> issue saving data to rootFS if necessary - which isn't of course even the
> logical place for game data to be stored, as it should use a local directory
> like Home I would think.

> [...]

There are certainly Qubes-specific customizations that will cause a Debian
TemplateVM (or StandaloneVM created from the Qubes Debian TemplateVM) to
be different from a Debian HVM. (Some differences are beneficial, like
fixing the double-cursor issue.) You may want to try running the game in a
StandaloneVM rather than a TemplateVM, just to see if there's any
difference. I afraid I don't know the solution to your issue, but it
sounds like it might be some kind of file permission issue.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org