On 09/23/2016 08:00 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 07:42:07AM -0400, Chris Laprise wrote:
On 09/22/2016 07:12 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 03:56:57PM -0700, Connor Page wrote:
In fact, I think the right question is "Will Qubes 4 be compatible with btrfs root
if vm storage is expected to reside on a LVM thin pool?"
This is a good question. The new storage handling is flexible enough to
allow writing a module to handle btrfs even better than in Qubes 3.x.
But it is unlikely that we'll manage to write such module for 4.0. If
someone would contribute such module, then yes - it will be supported.
Otherwise, probably somehow around 4.1 or later.

- --
You realize that some of us have been happily using btrfs features with
Qubes in a way that produces better work flows?

If ITL desires a modular storage layer, wouldn't the best approach be to
offer a general image file module *first* to emulate the current
architecture? That way, people can continue to have the same storage choices
and backup procedures they already do.
File backend is also available, but we haven't added new features to it
(like multiple snapshots etc).
Probably it could be easily extended to proper btrfs module (for example
by dropping dm-snapshot over files and simply use cp --reflink=always).

- --

Good to know there is a file back end.

I also was thinking about having qvm-backup reference a particular 'backup' pool which points to a subvolume containing all the vms the user wishes to backup; Then differential backups could be done quite easily with 'btrfs send' without a lot of overhead. And vms could very easily be moved in/out of the backup pool/subvolume pairing.

But that may be too filesystem-specific for the new storage layer.

Chris