it's a stupid mess. People don't deal with it.

It would be nice if there was a specification, other than a shitty vulnerable
USB, that would allow the plugging in of a key that stored a GPG private key.
That way even your grandma could automagically sign an authentication token.
Such a key-fob would have it's own hardware - to receive requests and possibly
basic PIN authentication; or even fingerprint - if it was completely isolated
(as in never leaves the device); the authentication module would be on the
device itself and not through the OS. The idea is that the device itself
functions like a removable TPM chip.

Although I personally don't trust hardware that stores fingerprint data - it is
feasible for this method to be implemented rather securely and openly (as in
libre)

In the meantime, I intend soon to make a firefox addon or plugin that stores a
salt and domain in the firefox sync database. combine that with a standard
manually inputted password to create an HMAC; which can be then be encoded with
ASCII values from a lookup table. The result would be a completely random
password for every domain. To change the generated pass you would change the
salt. The salt is stored in firefox sync but your password is not.

I won't get to implement this until I finish UNI in a couple of years. Until
then I'm stuck with what I have.