On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 2:02 PM, Grzesiek Chodzicki
<grzegorz.chodzi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In order to capture the whole screen such tool would need to run in dom0
> which is really, really not a good idea.

I think it is important to understand the actual risks involved,
rather than just saying something is "really, really not a good idea".

The design of qubes allows things of arbitrary complexity to exist and
operate in dom0, so long as they do not handle untrusted inputs, and
the tool itself is not actively malicious against qubes.

In this case, the only untrusted inputs to a screen-recording tool
should be only the framebuffer that it is recording. In this case, for
an attacker to be able to violate the qubes security model, they would
need to find an exploit in the video compression codec, and trigger
that from the thing you are recording.

For many, this may be an acceptably unlikely risk, particularly if the
thing you are recording is relatively trusted already.