Am 13.11.2016 um 14:22 schrieb hed...@tutanota.com:

> 13. Nov 2016 08:48 by amad...@riseup.net <mailto:amad...@riseup.net>:
>
>     We see much correspondence in these forums about installing a VPN
>     within Qubes. Surely, the most secure place for VPN is to install
>     on a Router?

You might continue proving that this is the case for a router running on
its own VM compared to a router running on separate hardware but keep in
mind counting the problem of keeping the router's os current and free of
security-relevant problems.

>     The solution they say is to isolate these rogue routers in the
>     Militarized Zone by creating a DMZ [demilitarized zone]. Achieved
>     by installing a 2nd router [flashed with open source firmware such
>     as OPenWRT]. It is here, on the router, that we should enable and
>     run OpenVPN.

And of course another router/packet filter/firewall/whatever behind it
as there could be something _inside_ the VPN that would not be agreaable
to you.

>     Thoughts on this paper and it's conclusions are welcomed

There is a point where additional components won't give you
defense-in-depth but only additional complexity that will in the end
make you less secure.

> An always-on VPN connection on the router works well but can be a bit
> slow since the processing power of router CPUs is generally quite
> limited. If choosing a router, I'd suggest a dual-core ARM-based
> device. Although openvpn is only single-threaded you can usually
> configure cpu-affinity to place it on one core and the other routing
> tasks on the other core.

One of the GL-Inet small arm(s 8-) ) routers is sufficient for 80 MBit/s
(see https://www.gl-inet.com/). I'm using one of their "Mifi" devices
(https://www.gl-inet.com/mifi/) to write this and right now it is
holding up quite well with 150 MBit/s LTE plus an OpenVPN on top of it.
The only problem is the about 1MBit/s I'm getting from their uplink.

> For those who want to go beyond around 20-25 Mb/s, which is where an
> ARM router will start to reach its limits

Seriously? I doubt that. Right now I'm using an ASUS RT-AC5300 (ARM,
dual core) router on a 400/20 MBit link (residential cable) and even if
I'm sturating it using an OpenVPN process running on the router its
cores seem quite unimpressed. But maybe DD-WRT is magical.

> , a fine alternative is a small fanless PC, such as the Intel NUC or
> Gigabyte Brix, and run an open source firewall on it, instead of a router.

For security-sensitive applications I'm using a USBArmory-based
"crypto-afterburner" that I can plug into other machines offering two
"USB-NICs" and I don't have problems with reathing the USB bandwidth
limit. If it wasn't impossible to get a single USB port into a VM I
would have found a place to stick one inside my Thinkpad already. If
there was a Qubes developer feeling bored I would have thrown one at him
already to see if we could have a few interesting things introduced into
Qubes (like boot media running on a separate volume that need to be
unlocked first, external key storage, external crypto functions…)

> Finally, I've always felt that running a vpn on Qubes and having an
> always-on vpn running on a router/PC complement each other.

And an independent packet filter in front of it. And one behind it. And
no wireless networking in between any component. Again: Consider a USB
Armory; write some interesting tools, add them to Qubes. That might
really help.

Achom