entr0py:
> taii...@gmx.com:
>> On 11/13/2016 07:39 PM, entr0py wrote:
>>> taii...@gmx.com:
>>>
>>> Is there an inherent reason that Qubes should not be used as a
>>> router?
>>
>> - I really don't know how to reply to this
>
> I can't tell if your reticence is indignance or if my question just
> can't be answered for some reason but it was meant to be a sincere
> question. Admittedly I know very little about this but AFAIK pfSense
> is just a front-end to manage filters with extensibility features. I
> don't know enough to discuss the relative merits of PF vs iptables,
> but I don't see any reason why a Qubes router wouldn't work since
> Debian based "router operating systems" do exist. Is it a question of
> reliability, complexity, ...? I just need a machine that can route
> and filter traffic and not get compromised in the process - or am I
> missing something? I wouldn't know the first thing about BSD or
> virtual driver domains, whereas I've become comfortable chaining
> Qubes proxyVMs and using iptables.
>

>From advice I've received: the overhead introduced by Qubes (inter-vm
>operability, gui features) aren't necessary in a router that is largely
>non-interactive and headless.

My guess is that a cost-effective solution for now would be to use 2012 AMD
hardware running Xen / KVM. Analogous to Qubes, it would have fat net VMs,
minimal proxy VMs and a firewall VM (BSD or otherwise) in-between.

Both Xen & KVM support ARM so the forward-looking solution might be to combine
Xen with something like MirageOS appliances
(https://mirage.io/wiki/xen-on-cubieboard2) on an ARM device.