Marek Marczykowski-Górecki:
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 09:11:21PM -0800, Andrew David Wong wrote:

>>> Sorry, this is a known issue. Enigmail 1.9 is incompatible with Split GPG
>>> on Debian 8:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2170
>>>
>>> Until this is resolved, I recommend using the Fedora template instead.
>>>

>> Update: 3n7r0p1 has pointed out that this is not an issue, since Enigmail
>> 1.9 is not contained in the Debian 8 repos to begin with.
>
> Isn't it possible to install enigmail directly from thunderbird/icedove?
> That would result in the most recent version.

Marek is correct.

When installed from the repo, enigmail updates are disabled. However, newer
versions can be installed through the addons manager and such versions can also
be updated via that method.

Issue should be re-opened or docs should advise Debian users to install via
apt-get (not a bad practice anyway).