On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 2:15:20 PM UTC+1, Reg Tiangha wrote:
> On 12/15/2016 06:01 AM, Reg Tiangha wrote:
> > On 12/15/2016 05:00 AM, Foppe de Haan wrote:
> >> Okay, stuck again. Downloaded a fresh d8 template, updated it and built
> >> kernel again to have a clean slate to work from. Everything builds, no
> >> error beside the expected ones afterwards. But when i switch to pvgrub2
> >> and boot, it shuts down seconds after boot attempt. Full log attached.
> >>
> >> ..[30m.[47mWelcome to GRUB!
> >>

> >> ..[37m.[40m.[37m.[40m.[37m.[40merror: no such device:
> >> /boot/xen/pvboot-x86_64.elf.
> >>
> >> Reading (xen/xvda/boot/grub/grub.cfg
> >>
> >> ..[H.[J.[1;1Herror: file `/boot/grub/fonts/unicode.pf2' not found.
> >>
> >> error: no suitable video mode found.
> >>
> > I can't replicate, but none of my systems have UEFI or if they do, I'm
> > using legacy boot because Qubes wouldn't install if UEFI mode was enabled.
> >
> > That said, if it worked for you before, it should still work now.
> >
> > Are you sure you set up grub correctly after the compile?
> >
> > sudo mkdir /boot/grub
> > sudo update-grub2
> >
> > The only other thing I can think of is to switch to a regular kernel,
> > try the two grub commands again and see if any errors pop up, and if
> > not, switch back to pvgrub2 and see if it boots again.
> >

> Oh, wait. When you said you downloaded a fresh Debian 8 template and
> updated, do you mean that you updated it to Debian 9 rather than just
> install the regular Debian 8 updates? I'm running another test system
> based on Stretch on bare metal, and I think there's something buggy in
> one of the packages that was released recently (maybe X?) as it's been
> locking up a lot for reason I can't figure out. I'm hoping I can just
> wait it out and it'll fix itself later in another update. It could be
> related to your problem if that's the case?
>
> And I just realized there was more to the log that you attached. Still
> can't figure out what caused the kernel panic from looking at it, sorry.

No, I mean running 8/stable, no other repos active. Would dom0 running uefi
matter to the VM

As for the rest, I've rerun every step a few times, so I can't imagine I missed
anything. update-grub2 gave me the message below, but according to the qubes
howto page, those errors don't matter.

Anyway, thanks for your replies / time, I guess I'll poke around the log etc a
bit more.

-----
user@debian-8:/boot$ sudo update-grub2
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.8.13-coldkernel-grsec-1
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.8.13-coldkernel-grsec-1
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/mapper/dmroot.
Check your device.map.
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/mapper/dmroot.
Check your device.map.
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/mapper/dmroot.
Check your device.map.
  No volume groups found
done