On 02/05/2017 01:39 PM, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> On 2017-02-04 15:10, Oleg Artemiev wrote:
>>> This is a good time to mention that we're in need of an HCL
>>> maintainer. [..] Any volunteers?
>> Why not to just script-out this once and forget?

I can't help with maintaining the HCL, sorry. Yes, an automated solution
might help here.

Talking about automation: I am in a position to have several notebooks
on my desk every week. Anything between three and ten maybe, steadily.
Mostly older consumer devices.
How much of a priority is it to fill the HCL? If I had a bootable stick
which fetches all interesting info in short time without (much) user
input, I could do that to a lot of notebooks.
This would only make sense if we could find out the notebook model with
the script. Or maybe just type it in while it scans stuff.

There are many places with high notebook throughput. Heck, we can even
walk through an electronic store and check out one new notebook after
another, if it's reasonably fast and simple.

Would it be worthwile to have many new HCL reports to program such a
stick? Is an automated report even worth much, without hands-on
experience of a user testing functionality?
I am no programmer, unfortunately, so I can't create such a stick by myself.
And, of course, we need to be prepared for many new reports with a new
maintainer and/or a more automated processing.

Stickstoff