I've been using i3 in dom0 for about a month now, and I wanted to share a few
tips and tricks (partly so I can have them in a centralized place for
reference):

1. To lock the screen on suspend and resume, you need to add a systemd target
in /etc/systemd/system. This has to use your username (or supposedly xss-lock,
which I haven't bothered figuring out how to use). I use the following content,
substituting for $USER:

[Unit]
Description=Lock screen on suspend

[Service]
User=$USER
Type=forking
Environment=DISPLAY=:0
ExecStart=/usr/bin/i3lock -d -c 000000

[Install]
WantedBy=suspend.target

2. Volume keys: Install pulseaudio-utils. Then put the following in .i3/config:

bindsym XF86AudioRaiseVolume exec --no-startup-id pactl set-sink-volume 1 +5%
bindsym XF86AudioLowerVolume exec --no-startup-id pactl set-sink-volume 1 -5%
bindsym XF86AudioMute exec --no-startup-id pactl set-sink-mute 1 toggle

I then customize the qubes-i3status command by adding: (I know this awk/sed
mixture is awful, and it's hard-coded for my system, which has two pulseaudio
sinks)

status_volume() {
   local muted=$(pactl list sinks | awk -F ' ' '/Mute/ {print $2}' | sed -s 's/
//g' -e '2q;d')
   if [[ $muted == 'yes' ]]; then
       json volume "Volume: 0%"
   else
       local volume=$(pactl list sinks | awk -F ' ' '/Volume/ {print $2}' | sed
-s 's/ //g' -e '3q;d')
       json volume "Volume: $volume"
   fi
}

And then add a local volume variable to the main() call. I update every second.

3. A few minor tweaks to the config file: See this pull request, which has
already been merged: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-desktop-linux-i3/pull/5

A few more personal thoughts: Personally, I change the navigation to use vim
keys, and then remap horizontal split to 'b'. I also remap 'focus child' to
'c', since I find it to be a useful shortcut. Originally I disabled fullscreen,
on the model of Xfce4, but I had to reenable it as part of a workaround for

I'm sure I'm missing a few things, but I wanted to share this, since I
sometimes see people asking about i3, especially on IRC.

Best,
Daniel