I know this isn't an ideal solution, but I suspect it would be pretty darn easy
to implement:

Obviously, the holy grail of password management should involve not storing
passwords (encrypted or otherwise) on any online VM until they instant they are
needed. I've been implementing this via copy/paste for my most important
credentials, but it's a pain, and I'm far too lazy to do this with all of my
logins.

However, I justed noticed that R3.2 introduced a Dom0-to-hyperboard[1] copy
function, and since Dom0 knows the window title text... couldn't there be
another hypervisor keyboard shortcut that would use the window title to search
though a simple database, copy a string associated with that window title and
send it to that VM's clipboard?

And because browser window titles are changed by websites, that means you could
in most cases store one password per website.  As always, it would be the
user's responsibility to not input the password into a spoofed website. (This
tool would thus be more of a convenience for power users, not the robust and
idiotproof edition.)

One could also use this to quickly retrieve passwords for applications like
Pidgin (which still uses plaintext password storage if you ask it to remember
passwords). You could use it with passwords for GUI terminals, too  Someone
might disagree with your passwordless sudo (I'm mostly fine with it), or they
might use that terminal heavily with remote machine... perhaps with an employer
who has arduous password requirements.

I realize this is far from optimal[2], but it strikes me as a hefty
security-convenience win that requires little effort to implement.

Am I wrong on either of these counts?

Shane

1. A much cooler name than "inter-VM clipboard"

2. For starters, website titles can change.  And the passwords should ideally
be kept in another VM, not Dom0. And there would preferably be a better
mechanism for verifying websites or applications to prevent absent-minded
copy/pastes into impostors (although, I would argue this tool wouldn't be
likely to be used by particularly careless people.)

On that latter point, a further very hack-y trick would be you had a web
browser extension that could hash the URL, check whether certificate is good
and then insert a token into the window title text ... ok ok, this is getting a
bit crazy.