I run Qubes on a laptop with a regular hard drive, and I've noticed that
as my drive fills up and I assume fragmentation hits, it takes longer
and longer for VMs to start up as they get moved around by
qvm-trim-template and what not.

It comes with the territory so I've just learned to live with it until I
get an SSD in this thing, but it's gotten to the point (about 100GB free
on a 750GB drive) that either generating a DispVM or updating its save
file after the main template has been updated takes about a minute and a
half or so for the DispVM file to completely boot, but the
qvm-create-default-dvm script times out with a "ERROR: Cannot start
qubes-guid!" error.

Sometimes I can work around it by trimming the DispVM template or
running e4defrag on it or even just copying it somewhere and deleting
the old one just to get the VM to move to another part of the disk, but
that's getting harder and harder to do now as (I assume) enough
contiguous free space on my disk becomes less and less as time goes by.

Is there any way that I can change the time out the DVM generation
script waits in order to connect to qubes-guid? I think I may need to
double or triple it, but the machine does start up eventually; it's just
the DVM generation script that gives up too soon.