On Mon, 1 May 2017, Vít Šesták wrote:

> * I wonder what does “exploitable locally” mean. If physical access is
> required, I am not sure what would attacker gain (AEM bypass at most, I
> guess). If it allows unprivileged user to elevate privileges, this might
> be interesting for Qubes, depending on the attack vector: If it requires
> attack over network interface, then sys-net can perform it. If it
> involves ME software for the OS (maybe for accessing the MEI PCI
> device), we should be adequately isolated on Qubes. I hope that Qubes
> adds some protection in any case and it is not exploitable from other
> VMs than sys-net.

The PDF from Intel linked earlier was pretty clear on this locally
exploitable thing (when one connects the dots). It states "Disable LMS
services" which according to description listens on some ports and
forwards that traffic to ME/AMT (supposedly using the PCI interface).
The reason for that is that ME/AMT has a fancy filter in NIC that
automatically captures only incoming packets to enable remote
administration (without host OS knowing anything about them) BUT a local
machine/user cannot send incoming packets as it would require loopbacking
eth cable. To make (some?) ME/AMT capabilities available locally, LMS
seems to provide a cludge that forwards those local requests to ME/AMT
using the local PCI device which allows an attacker to reach the
vulnerable ME/AMT.

The document also stated that one should prevent re-enabling LMS and that
admin has necessary rights to exploit so it doesn't matter whether such
user can reinstall LMS or not (LMS is a Windows service anyway but
without much doubt, the attack would also work in Linux too if the
attacker can access the MEI PCI device). However, it remains unclear how
an ME/AMT exploit adds to what admin already can do (probably nothing that
significant really).

--
 i.