On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 3:03:05 PM UTC-4, Chris Laprise wrote:
> On 05/01/2017 02:33 PM, cooloutac wrote:
> > I know I can't buy one, so how do I get an a fresh iso if my machine
> > is compromised?  Obviously,  someone more prudent would of kept their
> > original iso on dedicated usb stick. But I was too cheap.
>
> I'll go out on a limb and say that Qubes is more about defending against
> oncoming threats.
>
> Pre-existing compromise creates a dilemma for the user, who can
> pragmatically try to minimize further compromise by degrees. For
> instance, burn a DVD and then verify it on multiple machines (incl.
> different architectures). This is not unlike trying to validate the
> authenticity of a PGP key using different network channels (not quite
> "out of band" but possibly effective).
>

> > So what happens if that was not done,  or how can someone get a
> > trusted iso for the first time in the first place?  Is just checking
> > key signatures and using dd on a compromised machine enough? I
> > imagine that would be dangerous.
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Since you will probably want to start with Qubes on a non-compromised
> machine, I suggest to download and verify using that.
>
> --
>
> Chris Laprise, tas...@openmailbox.org
> https://twitter.com/ttaskett
> PGP: BEE2 20C5 356E 764A 73EB  4AB3 1DC4 D106 F07F 1886

this post makes me think about healthcare debate lol.  last to universal
healthcare is also last to end slavery. not a coincidence.

But ya i'll go out on a limb and say most of us are using Qubes cause we were
already compromised before,  and we are using it still believing we will be
compromised in the future.

If there is no way to get a trusted iso there is no point in using Qubes.