On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 5:06:14 PM UTC-4, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:
> On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 2:41 PM, cooloutac <raahe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'll go out on a limb and say that Qubes is more about defending against
> >> oncoming threats.
> >>
> >> Pre-existing compromise creates a dilemma for the user, who can
> >> pragmatically try to minimize further compromise by degrees. For
> >> instance, burn a DVD and then verify it on multiple machines (incl.
> >> different architectures). This is not unlike trying to validate the
> >> authenticity of a PGP key using different network channels (not quite
> >> "out of band" but possibly effective).

> >> Since you will probably want to start with Qubes on a non-compromised
> >> machine, I suggest to download and verify using that.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Chris Laprise, tas...@openmailbox.org
> >> https://twitter.com/ttaskett
> >> PGP: BEE2 20C5 356E 764A 73EB  4AB3 1DC4 D106 F07F 1886
> >
> > this post makes me think about healthcare debate lol.  last to universal
> > healthcare is also last to end slavery. not a coincidence.
> >
> > But ya i'll go out on a limb and say most of us are using Qubes cause we
> > were already compromised before,  and we are using it still believing we
> > will be compromised in the future.
> >
> > If there is no way to get a trusted iso there is no point in using Qubes.
>
> I am not aware of any mechanism by which to have a 100% guarantee, but
> then... do you really need one?
>
> At some point, you just have to say "well... good enough". Even if you
> were to buy install media, as you suggest, how are you sure your
> physical mail wasn't intercepted?
>
> I believe the "create read-only media and verify it on diverse
> machines" approach should be sufficient. Breaking it should require
> either some rather versatile exploit for something along the
> (hopefully diverse) set of components involved in reading & verifying
> the media from the multiple systems you use to check it, or for all of
> those machines to be independently targeted, possibly with advance
> knowledge of the DVD you're about to try to verify. IMO that's
> sufficiently unlikely to be worth worrying about.

I think the least likely thing to happen is my physical mail gets intercepted.
(unless by the gov't or police)

Far more likely criminals and peeping toms have all my machines compromised and
have advance knowledge i'm going to download Qubes.  Also  far more likely my
hardware is compromised as well.  I never blame the gov't,  cause they usually
don't try to destroy computers or steal money from people.

So if I build a new machine and can't buy a Qubes iso,  i'll be ordering
windows 10 and i'm not going to bother installing Qubes.