On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 10:05 PM, Neal Rauhauser <nrauhau...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed Qubes 3.2 on a Dell Precision M4600 (slick) and I've been trying
> to migrate a portion of my day to day work to it.
>
> I have many contacts who use Open Whisper Systems Signal App for
> communication. I've used the Google Chrome extension on both OSX and Linux
> without any troubles.
>
> Using a Fedora 23 VM I found Chrome installs to be clumsy, while yum install
> chromium just works. The Signal Chrome App installs and runs, but the
> directory function is broke. Existing conversations are fine, but they are
> with phone numbers rather than names, and I can't look up any other contacts
> to initiate conversations, I have to wait for them to come to me.
>
> Has anyone else already resolved this problem? This is a "beachhead issue"
> for me - if I can get Signal going, I can switch a good sized chunk of what I
> do to Qubes.

I use signal in Qubes daily and can confirm it works great.

It does appear that the contacts list syncing is a one-time event at
setup and not a continuous thing, but I believe this is a known Signal
issue, and in no way specific to Qubes. See:
-
https://support.whispersystems.org/hc/en-us/articles/218514998-How-do-I-update-contacts-on-Signal-Desktop-
- https://github.com/WhisperSystems/Signal-Desktop/issues/1001
- https://github.com/WhisperSystems/Signal-Desktop/issues/443

For more information about Signal on Qubes in general, see:
- https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/signal/