On 2017-05-16 01:24, cooloutac wrote:

> No. With qvm-backup-restore, the entire backup blob is checked for
> integrity and authenticity. That check will fail if any bit in the
> blob has changed. Since the blob is encrypted, an attacker won't
> be able to tell what individual files are in it, unless you divulge
> that information in some other way.

> Suppose you take your encrypted database file and store it
> somewhere (e.g., cloud storage, HDD in a safe deposit box). Suppose
> that an attacker secretly replaces that file with a malicious one
> without your knowledge. The next time you decrypt that database
> file, it silently compromises your client or VM and leaks your
> passphrases through side channels or does other nasty things.
>
> If you had instead backed up the entire VM with qvm-backup, you
> would immediately know, upon trying to restore from the backup,
> that it was not the same trusted file that you had originally
> created, since Qubes would inform you that the integrity and
> authenticity check had failed when you entered your passphrase.
>
> Now, if your password manager also uses authenticated encryption
> for its database files, then that's fine, but as far as I know,
> most don't.

> There's nothing wrong with acting on a hunch. In some cases, it may
> be obvious that a VM or whole system has been compromised, but
> there's no way to know for certain that a VM or whole system has
> *not* been compromised.

> Use Qubes OS. Compartmentalize. Use Paranoid Mode. :)
>

> So you are saying qvm-backup will know if an attacker has switched
> up the backup file, which is well and good. But I'm assuming the vm
> or file is already compromised before backing it up in the first
> place.

Oh, that's a quite a different scenario from what I had in mind, then.

> Also apparently qvm-backup has not taken every file into account or
> there would be no need for paranoid mode.

I think you might be misunderstanding Paranoid Mode. VMs that you
restore using Paranoid Mode may (still) be compromised.

> I still believe having to only verify the integrity of a single
> file is better then  a whole vm.

Well, the backup is itself a single file.

> Although this discussion makes me think maybe when loading the
> possibly compromised keepassx file I should load it in a disposable
> just to get the passwords, but not open it in the new vault vm I'm
> going to create.  But then I uess I als can't copy and paste what
> to do about passwords 100 characters long? lol

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org