On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 3:50:36 PM UTC-4, Andrew David Wong wrote:

> On 2017-05-09 14:54, cooloutac wrote:

> > Why? No need to encrypt the database file if the whole VM is
> > encrypted. Also, if your database file doesn't use authenticated
> > encryption, that's another thing to worry about. You may also worry
> > about file-level metadata leakage.
> >

> > the database file is automatically encrypted.  I just feel like
> > vault more likely compromised then the file if something is.  but
> > I could be wrong.  plus way less space.
> >

> I don't see any basis for that reasoning. The files in an AppVM are
> only as safe as the AppVM itself, unless the VM is used only for
> storage or something.
>
> If the vault VM is compromised, then the encrypted database file in
> the vault is only safe as long as it remains encrypted. An attacker
> who can compromise your vault can set a trigger that waits for you to
> decrypt the database the next time you want to use it, then grab the
> passphrase, decryption key, or the whole decrypted database.
>
> > I think when we have paranoid mode it will be better.
> >

> - --
> Andrew David Wong (Axon)
> Community Manager, Qubes OS
> https://www.qubes-os.org

Because more attack vector. Seems like common sense for me.  The whole point of
paranoid mode isn't it?

As for attacker getting the key to the database file thats fine, in other words
you also assume like I would that they are not turning it into malware itself.
Even if they got the key thats fine if you are just using it to change your
passwords using a new database and new key.