On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 2:40:51 AM UTC-5, Mara Kuenster wrote:
> Yes, SOME VMs work sometimes ☺.
>
> I will just reinstall, it’s better anyway to have no unsupervised downtime
> between installing qubes and AEM, especially since I used Windows already on
> the same PC before activating AEM.
> Still this is a weird issue. Maybe one of the developers could try to
> reproduce by installing with UEFI then activating BIOS and confirm this
> messed up system? It is especially weird since the SAME system is just fine
> when booting in UEFI.
>
> Btw, maybe you could add a warning to the installer that UEFI will not allow
> AEM to be used, this would save a lot of time. I think I am not the only one
> who didn’t read the AEM documentation that carefully :D.
>
> Cheers
> Chris
>

> On 26/09/16 01:34, "Marek Marczykowski-Górecki" wrote:

Indeed. I don't understand why AEM can't be used with UEFI. The docs should
also mention the reliance on TPM for AEM and the use of AEM prevents ability to
swap drives in mobo easily, such as hot swapable SATA. That is probably not an
important consideration in the majority of cases I suspect.

Also, the conversion process should probably discuss GPT vs MBR partitioning. I
was under the impression UEFI required GPT, but even if not, I do know booting
an OS that resides on a GPT drive via BIOS (i.e. legacy) mode has problems.
Most BIOS / legacy code doesn't even recognize a GPT drive. Often BIOS booting
on a GPT drive relies on the protected partition region which isn't recognized
across the board and is far from being well recognized my all Op Systems.