On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 4:35:53 PM UTC-5, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
wrote:
> It gives me great pleasure to release the first iteration of the
> leakproof Qubes VPN.
>
> https://github.com/Rudd-O/qubes-vpn
>
> This package allows you to set up a leakproof OpenVPN VM on your Qubes
> OS system. All VMs attached to the VPN VM are automatically and
> transparently routed through the VPN. DNS requests do not hit the NetVM
> they get routed through the VPN instead.
>
> Users and developers welcome to contribute to the project in any way you
> can!
>
> --
>     Rudd-O
>     http://rudd-o.com/

First, I want to thank you for putting this together. Without people like you
this community would not move forward nearly as fast.

I'm pretty new here, and this is somewhat of an old thread. I wanted to offer
some feedback and solicit some advice if you have any to offer.

I tried to implement the cli vpn solution mentioned in the docs on on a
tutorial video but it doesn't work. The vpn itself does, but I believe there's
an issue at the iptables level. It's the last step of the process.

I first used a debian template as I am more familiar with that than fedora.
When that didn't work I tried with fedora 23 (I'm using a qubes os version 3.2
and just upgraded the kernel to 4.9 which works better for my kaby-lake system).

I'm not very familiar with iptables so my trobleshooting stopped at making sure
the scripts parsed the correct DNS args from the openvpn security-script.

The symptom is all notifications appear as expected, the security script runs,
the rc.local fires off the process properly but I have no network connectivity.
I noticed the comment in the iptables / DNS script that says "disallow outbound
traffic" or something like that.

I am now going to setup the VPN with the GUI method just to move on for now,
but really want the failsafe, anti-leak advantages of the cli method.

And suggestions on figuring out what is wrong?