On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 04:07:15AM -0700, zioasterb...@gmail.com wrote:
> Yes, by "separating them" i mean to extend the desktop to two screens,
> since now I see them mirrored (i.e. the eternal one is a copy of the
> laptop's display)

You can use xrandr to set up the different display outputs.

For example, the following command defines my external display (VGA1) as
being positioned to the right of my internal display (LVDS1):

        $ xrandr --output VGA1 --right-of LVDS1 --preferred

To get the names of your display outputs, run xrandr without flags:

        $ xrandr

It's a bit unclear whether or not you are using XFCE or i3wm as your
window manager, but the xrandr method should be effective in either
case.

Another solution is to set up your xorg.conf properly, so your desired
display outputs are configured when X starts, before any window manager
is run.

Here is an example config for a Thinkpad X220:

        Section "Device"
                # Specify the device we are configuring
                Identifier "Intel HD 3000"
                Driver     "intel"
                BusID      "PCI:0:2:0" # Video card PCI address

                # Give friendly names to the display outputs
                Option     "Monitor-LVDS1" "LCD"
                Option     "Monitor-VGA1"  "VGA"
        EndSection

        # Internal monitor (LVDS1)
        Section "Monitor"
                Identifier "LCD"
                Option     "Enable" "true"
                Option     "PreferredMode" "1366x768"
        EndSection

        # External monitor (VGA1)
        Section "Monitor"
                Identifier "VGA"
                Option     "Enable" "true"
                Option     "PreferredMode" "1680x1050" # Acer AL2216W
                Option     "RightOf" "LCD"
        EndSection

This config has the same effect as the xrandr example shown before -
external display output VGA1 positioned to the right of LVDS1.

You can put the file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and it will be read by X on
next start.

Use the "Enable" option to specify whether you want it to activate on X
start, or manually (via xrandr). See the documentation for X.org and the
graphics driver you are using for more options.

NOTE: You probably have to replace some/all values to fit your specific
scenario. Obviously the "Device" section (first paragraph) of the
xorg.conf in particular, but also the xrandr parameters.

-- noor

|_|O|_|
|_|_|O|  Noor Christensen