On Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 10:11:47 PM UTC-7, yreb-qusw wrote:
> On 07/14/2017 05:40 PM, pixel fairy wrote:
> > any network available OOB
>
> sorry what would be an example of this ?  "out of band" ?

yes. ipmi, idrac etc. these usually have a vnc interface to the "console" you'd
normally have from the attached keyboard, mouse, and monitor. so this exploit
would work on those. usually these interfaces exist on bussiness class
hardware, like vpro on some laptops. you may be able to disable it in bios.

this is not the intel M.E. (management engine), though its functionally
related.

> I'm not clear what SED is , :)

self encrypting drive

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware-based_full_disk_encryption

> I don't really see  any docs on ?initializing  AEM  , I do see that it
> says  to :
>
> ---
> In Dom0 install anti-evil-maid:
>
> sudo qubes-dom0-update anti-evil-maid
> ---
>
> I personally  have no USB-VM  ,  would my Bios need to be configured
> some particular way, beyond what it already is with 3.2  booting and stable

yes, you would need the iommu enabled. for intel, this is called vt-d

> I have about zero concern on  malware  from  USB drives,  maybe I
> shouldn't , but seems far -fetched in my case.  So,   maybe I don't need

sometimes its the firmware, sometimes its the devices themselves. for example,
you wouldn't want a web cam, gps, or microscope available to just any appvm.

for block devices qubes already filters usb to use those those safely, but i
suspect sys-usb is safer than dom0 doing it. dont know exactly how that works.

then theres the malicious hub devices like rubber ducky, bash bunny etc. dont
know the likelyhood of you running into that.

> AEM  depending  on  what  "network OOB"   would mean .....

sys-usb is easy enough that anyone with an iommu should use it, unless you only
have like 4 gigs of ram.

AEM is more work, and has its trade offs.