On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 5:16:52 AM UTC-7, Eric wrote:
> Thanks for the info! I've been eyeing this hardware as Qubes 4 becomes
> visible on the horizon - ordering through Dell allows for customizing things
> to a great degree. I was able to spec out a 1TB SSD, i7 processor, and no
> fingerprint reader or QHD screen, to save battery and power options! pretty
> cheap, too - just under 2K with 16GB of RAM.
>
> For future reference, because I couldn't find the info anywhere, this machine
> supposedly has a TPM 2.0 chip
> (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/Dell-XPS-15-9560-Laptop/91076TJJ2WFB/FD4C).
>
> Have you been able to get AEM working? And, how is your battery life? It
> sounds like the Killer AC chip is working ok, since it's just a rebranded
> Atheros chipset, other than the standby issue - can you confirm?

Some follow up, since I've been attempting to ascertain whether or not the
discrete GPU can be disabled completely:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_15_9560

Does not appear so, which is a shame - significant power draw from that even
when idle, and according to everything I can find, there are NO options to
disable the discrete GPU in BIOS.

However, if you're comfortable with dumping and rewriting the BIOS slightly, it
seems like there might be a way to disable it. This guy's trying to disable the
*integrated* graphics, but he claims that tweaking a certain bit completely
removes the ability for windows to see the card.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/xps-9560-disabling-integrated-graphics.806855/#post-10563153

probably no easy way to check, but, does blacklisting the noveau driver prevent
the GPU from coming online *at all* ??