On Saturday, August 5, 2017 at 3:31:27 PM UTC, PR wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I think it makes sense to concentrate more on what we (different user
> types/groups) would like to see, instead of having some kind of 'flame war'
> GUI vs. Terminal.
>

> The good thing was always that you can built very complicated workflows using
>  the terminal/bash scrips make life easier and that you can have a GUI for
> 80% of the standard tasks for "normal users", which are more interested in
> using their computer as a tool instead of tweaking around.
>

> We can and should have both:
> 1) API/terminal commands for 'advanced users' and
> 2) a simple GUI for normal users who just want to use a PC that protects
> their privacy somewhat better than their current Windows 10 Laptop.
>

> Am 05.08.2017 5:02 nachm. schrieb "cooloutac" <raah...@gmail.com>:
>

> The forever problem of linux,  is the self fulfilling prophecies from people
> who want to feel superior over others.
>

> Disagree, I think that those people are just faster using the terminal.
> And those users are technically skilled and have at least basic knowledge
> about an operating system.
>

> I agree with cooloutac that Qubes has a benefit if it can be used for regular
> tasks without touching the terminal.
> Even when using Windows lots of people use Laptops that have been setup by
> experienced users and then handover to them.
> They don't bother with tweaking the system, so simplifying the use of Qubes
> would help to get those users on board.
>

> BUT:
> Important point is that additional security/privacy has most time a price
> that it add a small layer of complexity/less usability for the user.
> But Qubes is doing a great job to reduce this overhead.
>

> As far as I have understand the Qubes team statement, it seems that the
> concentrate more on the Qubes Core stuff and having the API/Terminal
> commands, someone can still write a GUI for Qubes like Qubes Manager.
>

> Honestly I don't understand why it is that hard to Port Qubes Manager over to
> Qubes 4, so that the user can choose:
>

> - terminal
> - old Qubes manager with maybe a reduced feature set
> - new Qubes widgets
> - ... ?
>

> This topic reminds me about the vi vs. emacs discussions. What the heck? I
> use both ;-)
> Or the new "Ribbon Bar" from Microsoft which was also not that accepted in
> the beginning.
>

> - PhR

Fully agree, and you make a good point too with the Qubes team having said they
will focus on the core of Qubes.
Perhaps the issue here is rather that Qubes seems too closed off and too
tightly controlled, that no new groups arise to team up with Qubes?

Also most of all, don't want to be too harsh on the Qubes team here, they're
doing an amazing job. It's just the limbo of lack of communication that is a
bit iffy, if one may call it that.

Perhaps a professional Strategy Mission/Vision page on the Qubes website would
help creating clarity rather than having to dig through thousands of forum and
mail posts?